Thursday 16 June 2011

本:中上級を教える人のための日本語文法ハンドブック

Difficulty Level: 3
Title: 中上級を教える人のための日本語文法ハンドブック
Author: 庵功雄 Isao Iori
Publication Year:2001
Publisher: 3A Network
Pages: 599
Preview: Google Books

This is a grammar handbook for Japanese teachers. It has pretty much become my Japanese grammar bible.

While learning Japanese grammar in English can be good, and I highly recommend works like the "Dictionary of Japanese Grammar" series, reading about Japanese grammar in Japanese can be really interesting. You can already do this online with Niwasaburoo's guide, I find I like this book better. It is the closest thing I have found to the Dictionary of Japanese Grammar series in Japanese. What is so good about it is this: the grammar is explained in a clear matter, and includes things like common mistakes learners make, which proved more helpful than I thought it would.

While the writing is straightforward, I would not say it is easy. Be prepared to look up Japanese grammar terms if you don't have much experience with them. Like the Dictionary of Japanese Grammar series, this book is not afraid to be a bit technical.

5 comments:

  1. i bought this book today!! :D i couldn't find the other one though rrrr. Well, i got lots of fiction books in it's place though...:D:D:D

    i ♥ birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!

    Yeah, I find that book is really good whenever I just want to geek out reading Japanese grammar explanations in Japanese. XD

    You couldn't find the other one? Well I guess it is a bit harder to find...I ordered it from here (http://www.thejapanshop.com/Bimyo-na-Nihongo-Changing-meaning-Kanji/dp/B003VKWM70?ie=UTF8&id=Bimyo-na%20Nihongo%20Changing%20meaning%20Kanji&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&field_availability=-1&field_browse=2358983011&searchSize=12&searchNodeID=2358983011&searchPage=3&searchKeywords=nihongo&field_keywords=nihongo&class=quickView&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchRank=salesrank) but that site is based in the US, so I'm not sure how much it would be to ship to England.

    What fiction books did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I forgot to add that the ビミョ~な日本語 book has a website with a newsletter that's also good, and although they stopped sending new ones, all the archives are there (http://bimyo-kotoba.com/b-back.html).

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh thanks!!! those newsletters look really helpful!!! It turns out i can order it from my local Japanese shop, but it's special order, which is presumably why it wasn't there yesterday...

    i got, ハリー・ポッターとアズカバンの囚人 for easy reading, 村上春樹の「世界の終りとハードボイルド・ワンダーランド」 (then found out it's already on my computer when i got home):/. But reading the first few pages, i can really understand why he's so famous... the flow of the writing is really beautiful, for one thing. I can't imagine it being as good in english though... 伊坂幸太郎の「フィッシュストーリー」 (wasn't sure which to get, hope it's good!), and the long essay 「日本語を書く作法・読む作法」 by 阿刀田高, it looks fun :)

    it'll probably take me the next year to read them lol.

    oh, i also saw another interesting Japanese book when i was in the shop, but it was a bit to expensive & i wanted to get other stuff, but it's this one:
    http://shop.jpbooks.co.uk/product.php?id_product=7626
    it's more of a kind of linguistics book, and goes into how things like rhetoric, wit, and all sorts of things are used in Japanese in conversation, through modern sources. It's definately on my "to read" list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, that's nice that you can do that!

    伊坂幸太郎 is usually good...actually I got his 「死神の精度」 before I found that the text file was already on my computer.^^; But I like paper books better anyway...

    The linguistics book looks really interesting! I just did a search, and I can request it from one of my university's partner colleges! I'm definitely doing that when my Summer classes start in a week.

    BTW, have you been watching the Women's Soccer World Cup? Japan's doing pretty well, although I couldn't hear much of the most recent game because of my neighbor's loud 4th of July fireworks. Ugh. Although, I guess seeing it is the important part. I wish I could find some Japanese footage of it though. サッカー選手って凄い!!

    ReplyDelete